Chairman of Philadelphia's School Reform Commission resigns
PHILADELPHIA - October 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Governor Corbett's office announced Monday that the Chairman of the Philadelphia School Reform Commission, Pedro A. Ramos, has resigned.
Ramos, who served two years as chairman, cited his decision to step down to recent, unexpected news within his family.
The announcement from the governor's office quoted Corbett as saying, "I appreciate Pedro's hard work and dedication to guide the Philadelphia School District during these difficult times & Pedro's well-deserved reputation and record in Philadelphia's educational community gave him the credibility and insight to bring about change and positive reforms on behalf of the students of Philadelphia."
A decision has not yet been made as to who will replace Ramos on the five-member, volunteer SRC.
Upon the news of Ramos' resignation, Philadelphia School District Superintendent Dr. William Hite, issued the following statement:
"On behalf of the School District of Philadelphia, I express my sincerest gratitude to Pedro A. Ramos, School Reform Commission Chairman, for his service to our students, staff and District.
Pedro has been a stalwart supporter of the School District and our students, and he will be missed. He brought critical institutional knowledge as a former student, the parent of two public school graduates, the former President of the School Board of Philadelphia, a civic leader, and a business leader. This unique combination of experiences and perspectives will be difficult to replace.
I have often said that Pedro was one of the reasons I came to Philadelphia. He and his colleagues on the commission display remarkable passion for and dedication to our work at the School District. They volunteer countless hours to help us achieve our goals of improving student outcomes in a fiscally responsible way. I appreciate their service.
I am certain Pedro will continue to be an advocate for public education, and I look forward to continuing to work with him. I wish Pedro and his family well."
philadelphia news, philadelphia school district, school, education, local/state
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated 31 min ago
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
20 min ago
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
44 min ago