Woman struck, killed by school bus in Mayfair ID'd
MAYFAIR - October 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the woman who was struck and killed by a school bus on Frankford Avenue in Philadelphia's Mayfair Tuesday morning.
The victim has been identified as 27-year-old Kristen Fink from the 4400 block of Decatur Street.
The accident happened around 10:47 a.m. Tuesday at the intersection of Frankford Avenue and Aldine Street.
Police say the school bus was traveling southbound on the 7300 block of Frankford Avenue at Aldine Street.
Fink was attempting to cross Frankford Avenue when she was struck by the bus.
She became trapped under the right rear tire of the school bus.
Witnesses told police the young woman was wearing headphones and not paying attention to the traffic.
"She was wearing headphones apparently crossing from east to west and then coming back across and for reasons we don't know why she walked in front of the bus," Philadelphia Police Captain John Wilczynski said.
Witnesses said she didn't hear the female bus driver frantically honking the horn until it was too late.
"The lady blew the horn and it startled her and she panicked and she went to run back the same way she came and the woman on the bus turned the same way to swerve and she hit her square in the middle of the bus," witness Michael Canning said.
Fink was pronounced dead at the scene by medics.
The school bus was not carrying any children because the driver was on a training run with a supervisor. Nobody on the bus was injured.
Police spent hours on the scene investigating, but it appears this was a tragic accident.
"It's just an unfortunate incident that happened," Wilczynski said.
The investigation is ongoing.
mayfair news, northeast philadelphia news, philadelphia news, pedestrian struck, accident, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 30 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 33 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...