Headmaster at Tower Hill School investigated for child abuse
WILMINGTON, Del. - October 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Delaware State Attorney General's Office confirmed late Wednesday afternoon that along with Wilmington Police they are investigating allegations of misconduct into Tower Hill School's headmaster.
The school's Board of Trustees confirmed that those allegations are of child abuse and that the headmaster has stepped down.
Today the Board of Trustees released a shocking letter to parents. A criminal investigation led investigators to the historic campus and Headmaster Dr. Chris Wheeler's sprawling residence and office Tuesday night.
According to the school, the Attorney General's Office arrived to execute search warrants on Wheeler's home and office.
The letter to parents reads in part: "The warrants were executed pursuant to a criminal investigation involving allegations of child abuse."
The Attorney General's Office confirmed Wheeler is a target of an investigation into allegations of misconduct, but stopped short of saying child abuse.
The letter to parents went on to say: "The State Prosecutor advised that the State has no information at this time that a current Tower Hill student is implicated in the investigation."
Delaware's elite Tower Hill School is known as one of the best private schools in the country, serving grades kindergarten through high school. The school has ties to the du Pont family. Their alumni boasts congressmen and senators, as well as famed Dr. Mehmet Oz.
According to the school website, Wheeler has served as headmaster since 2004. Prior to that he worked at Saint Paul's School in Garden City, New York.
The Board of Trustees also revealed that Wheeler agreed with the board to step down pending the final outcome of the investigation.
wilmington news, delaware news, school, child abuse, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- Milder this afternoon 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs