Human remains found near New Castle billboard identified
NEW CASTLE, Del. - October 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities have identified the skeletal remains found near a billboard in New Castle, Delaware.
Delaware State Police and the state medical examiner have identified the deceased as John G. Heeney, 49, of Delaware City, Delaware.
Dental records were used to make the identification.
Police say there was no obvious trauma and no evidence of foul play.
The medical examiner is still working to determine the cause of death.
It was 10:50 a.m. Wednesday when a billboard maintenance crew found the remains in a marshy area off the southbound lanes of the 100 block of South DuPont Highway (Route 13).
Police told Action News the remains appeared to have been there for some time.
Anyone with information about the discovery is asked to contact the Delaware State Police Major Crimes Unit at Troop 2 at 302-834-2630 Extension #7.
delaware news, local/state
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot 48 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 52 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 33 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
52 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos