Human remains found near New Castle billboard identified
NEW CASTLE, Del. - October 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities have identified the skeletal remains found near a billboard in New Castle, Delaware.
Delaware State Police and the state medical examiner have identified the deceased as John G. Heeney, 49, of Delaware City, Delaware.
Dental records were used to make the identification.
Police say there was no obvious trauma and no evidence of foul play.
The medical examiner is still working to determine the cause of death.
It was 10:50 a.m. Wednesday when a billboard maintenance crew found the remains in a marshy area off the southbound lanes of the 100 block of South DuPont Highway (Route 13).
Police told Action News the remains appeared to have been there for some time.
Anyone with information about the discovery is asked to contact the Delaware State Police Major Crimes Unit at Troop 2 at 302-834-2630 Extension #7.
delaware news, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped girls in class 10 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 15 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 12 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 4 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 51 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
12 min ago