Human remains found near New Castle billboard identified
NEW CASTLE, Del. - October 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities have identified the skeletal remains found near a billboard in New Castle, Delaware.
Delaware State Police and the state medical examiner have identified the deceased as John G. Heeney, 49, of Delaware City, Delaware.
Dental records were used to make the identification.
Police say there was no obvious trauma and no evidence of foul play.
The medical examiner is still working to determine the cause of death.
It was 10:50 a.m. Wednesday when a billboard maintenance crew found the remains in a marshy area off the southbound lanes of the 100 block of South DuPont Highway (Route 13).
Police told Action News the remains appeared to have been there for some time.
Anyone with information about the discovery is asked to contact the Delaware State Police Major Crimes Unit at Troop 2 at 302-834-2630 Extension #7.
delaware news, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 47 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 54 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
47 min ago