Human remains found near New Castle billboard identified
NEW CASTLE, Del. - October 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities have identified the skeletal remains found near a billboard in New Castle, Delaware.
Delaware State Police and the state medical examiner have identified the deceased as John G. Heeney, 49, of Delaware City, Delaware.
Dental records were used to make the identification.
Police say there was no obvious trauma and no evidence of foul play.
The medical examiner is still working to determine the cause of death.
It was 10:50 a.m. Wednesday when a billboard maintenance crew found the remains in a marshy area off the southbound lanes of the 100 block of South DuPont Highway (Route 13).
Police told Action News the remains appeared to have been there for some time.
Anyone with information about the discovery is asked to contact the Delaware State Police Major Crimes Unit at Troop 2 at 302-834-2630 Extension #7.
delaware news, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
21 min ago
- Skydiver gets tangled with landing plane
8 min ago
- Student meets bone marrow recipient for...
5 min ago