Holocaust survivor from Newtown Square plays with Yo-Yo-Ma
NEWTOWN SQUARE, Pa. - October 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- For Dr. George Horner it was the concert of a lifetime. The 90-year-old holocaust survivor was at Boston's Symphony Hall earlier this week making his orchestral debut with the renowned Yo-Yo Ma.
It was a benefit for a foundation that preserves the work of artists and musicians killed by the Nazis
Dr. Horner came to the U.S. in 1964 after surviving death camps, including Auschwitz and is Buchenwald where the rest of his family perished... and so did a lot of the gifted musicians and composers with which he played.
At his home in Newtown Square, Dr. Horner reflected on the loss of those musicians, saying, "Thinking about the terrific waste of such talents."
At the concert with Ma, they played several pieces including pieces by his fellow inmate Karel Svenk, who did not survive the genocide.
"I wish people would listen to it and people wouldn't forget what happened, because history repeats itself. And one should be ready," Dr. Horner said.
Dr. Horner says it was difficult performing these pieces from 70 years ago, which are laden with such difficult memories. But he knew it would be described as what he called a "noble mission."
Horner explained the magnitude of the loss by saying, "How they robbed the whole world from some genius."
Dr. Horner says he was able to survive because he had music, friends and the power of music to fill in the empty spaces. Yo-Yo Ma called him a huge hero and inspiration - a witness to a slice of history we never want to see again, yet we keep seeing versions of that all over the world.
His story makes sure we never forget.
pennsylvania news, world war two, music, delaware county news, local/state, vernon odom
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 35 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 11 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
35 min ago