School bus driver charged in death of pedestrian in Pottstown
POTTSTOWN, Pa. - October 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Montgomery County authorities announced Friday the arrest of a school bus driver in the death of a 78-year-old woman, who was struck and killed while crossing the street early last month.
On the morning of September 9, 2013, police say Shirley Wilhelm was crossing Mervine Street at the intersection of Charlotte Street in Pottstown. At the same time, 64-year-old Donna Engler was behind the wheel of a school bus and attempted to make a turn at that intersection.
While turning, the bus allegedly struck and ran over Wilhelm. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators determined that there were no obstructions to the Engler seeing Wilhelm crossing the street. Based upon those findings, Engler was charged with Involuntary Manslaughter and Careless Driving.
Engler turned herself in to authorities on Friday and was arraigned. Bail was set at $25,000 before she was released on her own recognizance under the condition that she not drive a school bus. She also waived her preliminary hearing, so the case will be sent to the Court of Common Pleas for disposition.
montgomery county news, pennsylvania news, accident, pedestrian struck, school bus, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 55 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 37 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 40 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire 51 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 39 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing 18 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 16 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
55 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
16 min ago
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
37 min ago
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia...
51 min ago