Ex-Pa. teacher granted new trial in sex case
LANCASTER, Pa. (AP) - October 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- A former central Pennsylvania teacher has been granted new trials on charges that she had sex with a student and another teenager.
The (Lancaster) Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era says a state Superior Court overturned the Lancaster County convictions and 20- to 40-year sentence of 35-year-old Christy Lee Smith.
Police said the teens were 15 and 17 at the time of the alleged relationships from 2008 to 2010, and one met the former McCaskey High teacher at school and the other at a dance class.
Smith was also charged with child pornography in connection with photos of the older youth. The appeals court ruled that the two cases shouldn't have been tried at the same time.
Prosecutors say they will decide whether to appeal or proceed with a retrial.
sex, teachers, pennsylvania news, local/state
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 15 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 2 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 11 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 13 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 9 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures