3 arrests in shooting of school bus carrying young children in Camden
CAMDEN, N.J. - October 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Camden County Police have made three arrests in a shooting in which a school bus filled with young children was struck by a bullet.
It was 3:30 p.m. on Thursday September 12th when gunfire erupted in the area of Ferry Avenue and South 9th Street in Camden.
"We made a promise on that day that we would not rest until we brought these people to justice and today is that day," said Ofc. Scott Thomas, Camden County Police Department.
Camden County police say these three men Sinclair Reynolds, his brother, Dupree, and Frank Benson had a score to settle in the drug trade.
According to authorities, the trio drove up to Branch Village Housing Complex in Camden.
"There Sinclair Reynolds proceeded to fire 14 rounds into a park that was crowded by individuals," said Ofc. Thomas.
One of those bullets pierced the school bus, narrowly missing the driver.
The bus was packed with preschoolers and a 4-year-old suffered a burn mark on his back.
Frantic parents rushed to the scene as police began their investigation in partnership with the FBI.
Police say the Duprees and Benson quickly began covering their tracks.
"Frank Benson arranged to have that car scrapped and crushed at a scrap dealer in Philadelphia," said Ofc. Thomas.
Police say they haven't yet recovered the AK-47 used in the shooting.
Investigators say they used old school and new school technology to capture the men.
They met daily, canvassed the neighborhood, and offered a $20,000 reward to apprehend the suspects.
On Friday morning, officers moved in and arrested the men at their Camden homes.
"It just shows the leveraging of law enforcement partners in Camden to make our streets safe," said Mayor Dana Redd.
All three men face attempted murder, aggravated assault and other related charges.
new jersey news, camden county news, shooting, school bus, local/state
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 31 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 52 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 54 min ago
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 34 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 57 min ago
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 44 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Video: Pa. contender in Sriracha search for new home 24 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
31 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
22 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
52 min ago