Juvenile suspect allegedly punches police dog
GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. - October 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a southern New Jersey youth repeatedly punched a police dog during an unsuccessful bid to avoid arrest in a burglary investigation.
Galloway Township police say the incident occurred around 4 p.m. Saturday, shortly after officers responded to reports of motor vehicle burglaries and a theft in progress.
A witness had followed the suspects to a nearby township home, and when police arrived there they encountered a male juvenile who was leaving the residence. Authorities say the youth obstructed their investigation into the burglaries and physically resisted when an officer attempted to arrest him.
The police dog and its handler soon arrived and tried to assist in the arrest, but the youth then repeatedly punched the animal. Authorities say the dog did not appear to be injured.
atlantic county news, new jersey news, animal abuse, police, theft, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 4 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City 43 min ago
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford 5 min ago
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire 8 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
52 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
7 min ago