Juvenile suspect allegedly punches police dog
GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. - October 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a southern New Jersey youth repeatedly punched a police dog during an unsuccessful bid to avoid arrest in a burglary investigation.
Galloway Township police say the incident occurred around 4 p.m. Saturday, shortly after officers responded to reports of motor vehicle burglaries and a theft in progress.
A witness had followed the suspects to a nearby township home, and when police arrived there they encountered a male juvenile who was leaving the residence. Authorities say the youth obstructed their investigation into the burglaries and physically resisted when an officer attempted to arrest him.
The police dog and its handler soon arrived and tried to assist in the arrest, but the youth then repeatedly punched the animal. Authorities say the dog did not appear to be injured.
atlantic county news, new jersey news, animal abuse, police, theft, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 51 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 48 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
45 min ago