City employee allegedly draws gun, impersonates sheriff
PHILADELPHIA - October 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia city employee is on the other side of the law, accused of drawing a gun and posing as a sheriff.
According to police, 45-year-old Barry Young's tough guy act in a Midas parking lot backfired with not one lie, but two.
Police say on Saturday morning, he was in a Lincoln Navigator, blocking traffic into the store, all while talking on his cell phone.
David Jones, a Midas employee, asked him to pull into the parking lot. Young then allegedly jumped out and pulled a gun.
"He jumped out of his car, pulls a gun on me, tells me he is an off-duty police officer, then he hits me in the face," said Jones.
Jones says the two traded words and he saw Young pull the slide of a semi-automatic weapon on his side.
That's when Jones says he backed away and called 911, reporting part of the Navigator's license plate.
"I thought he was a police officer but there's no police officer that should be acting like that. I knew I had to make a complaint about him," said Jones.
A short time late, police caught up with Young and it was then he allegedly told officers he was a deputy sheriff.
Police say the Navigator did have a Fraternal Order of Police sticker on it but Young is no deputy and certainly not a police officer.
A spokesperson for the sheriff's office confirms that Young works as a clerk but at their main desk on the 100 block of South Broad Street.
Officials say Young has been suspended without pay.
He does, however, have a valid permit to carry a gun.
"If he's pulling a gun on me for being parked wrong who else is he pulling a gun on, he shouldn't be carrying a gun," said Jones.
Young faces six charges including impersonating a police officer and making terroristic threats.
He has since been released on bail. A woman who answered the door at Young's address told Action News that he lived there but wasn't home and she had no comment.
philadelphia news, police impersonator, local/state
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes 18 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 54 min ago
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp. 55 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 58 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- No charges for 8 NJ wrestlers in lynching photo 40 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
18 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
58 min ago