Man gunned down in North Philadelphia store
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - October 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating the brutal shooting death of a man inside a North Philadelphia grocery store.
The shooting happened around 5:15 p.m. Monday inside a corner store located on the 1900 block of West Susquehanna Avenue.
Philadelphia Police scoured the aisle where the man was shot inside of My City Supermarket. Investigators say 10 people were in the store when a masked gunman walked in and executed a 21-year-old man from the neighborhood.
After the initial barrage of bullets, the victim ran a few feet and collapsed... but the gunman wasn't done.
Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small explains, "The shooter stood over him and fired several more shots, standing right over the victim. It's clearly an execution type homicide. This victim was clearly targeted."
Crime scene investigators found at least 14 shell casings. The young victim was hit in the face and upper body a number of times.
The victim was pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital.
The killer ran off in an unknown direction.
The incident, from start to finish, was caught on store cameras. Police are now looking reviewing video in hopes of identifying the shooter.
Pedro DeJesus opened the store six years ago. He says four of his employees where inside including his nephew. English is his second language but he was able to tell us he's just thankful his workers and customers weren't injured.
The victim's identity has not been released.
north philadelphia news, philadelphia news, shooting, homicide, murder, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 43 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses 51 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 42 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 39 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career 32 min ago
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
43 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
42 min ago
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay...
39 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
32 min ago