Paulsboro teacher convicted of luring student via MySpace
PAULSBORO, N.J. - October 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A teacher from Paulsboro High School has been convicted on charges he lured one of his teenage students with sexually charged messages through the social networking site MySpace back in 2010.
Michael Furey, 49, was found guilty on Tuesday in a non-jury trial of official misconduct and luring.
Investigators say Furey, using a MySpace profile, pretended to be a teenage boy to send sexually explicit messages to the victim, a 17-year-old girl.
According to the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office, the girl testified that she thought the person communicating with her was another teen.
The girl went to meet the person messaging her in June, 2010, but arrived to find Furey in a parked car.
According to her testimony, the girl told Furey he was a "creeper" and walked away. Then, she said, Furey told her, "Just delete all the messages and don't tell anybody this happened."
However, investigator say, she told her mother two days later.
Investigators say Furey intended to have sex with the girl, saying his messages showed he wanted to make sure the girl was alone.
The judge remarked that Furey seemed "obsessed" with the girl.
Furey, who is also veteran of the Air Force, had been suspended without pay from Paulsboro High School since his arrest.
Furey's bail has been revoked and he is in custody pending his sentencing in November.
new jersey news, gloucester county news, child luring, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 39 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
39 min ago