Paulsboro teacher convicted of luring student via MySpace
PAULSBORO, N.J. - October 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A teacher from Paulsboro High School has been convicted on charges he lured one of his teenage students with sexually charged messages through the social networking site MySpace back in 2010.
Michael Furey, 49, was found guilty on Tuesday in a non-jury trial of official misconduct and luring.
Investigators say Furey, using a MySpace profile, pretended to be a teenage boy to send sexually explicit messages to the victim, a 17-year-old girl.
According to the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office, the girl testified that she thought the person communicating with her was another teen.
The girl went to meet the person messaging her in June, 2010, but arrived to find Furey in a parked car.
According to her testimony, the girl told Furey he was a "creeper" and walked away. Then, she said, Furey told her, "Just delete all the messages and don't tell anybody this happened."
However, investigator say, she told her mother two days later.
Investigators say Furey intended to have sex with the girl, saying his messages showed he wanted to make sure the girl was alone.
The judge remarked that Furey seemed "obsessed" with the girl.
Furey, who is also veteran of the Air Force, had been suspended without pay from Paulsboro High School since his arrest.
Furey's bail has been revoked and he is in custody pending his sentencing in November.
new jersey news, gloucester county news, child luring, local/state
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 54 min ago
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
58 min ago