Coatesville names new interim superintendent as community begins to heal
COATESVILLE - October 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man the Coatesville Area School Board tapped as the new interim superintendent is a man who has stepped in a number of times to save a troubled school district.
Dr. Leonard Fitts will hit the ground running starting first thing Wednesday morning.
Fitts has more than 40 years in education and has been in this same position at several schools in New Jersey including Camden, Berlin Township, Willingboro.
He's worked also as a school psychologist and principal.
Fitts tells Action News he is not concerned about taking over this role.
"It's because I really have confidence in myself and I believe we have a great board of directors here to work with that is children focused and educational focused," Fitts said.
"We felt that in order for this community to begin to heal and move forward, this is something we have to do. Nothing against Dr. Romaniello. I think he did a fantastic job as the acting superintendent. But at the same time, we listened. We heard from everybody in this community and we knew we had to do something," Coatesville School Board President Neil Campbell said during the Tuesday afternoon announcement.
Acting Superintendent Angelo Romaniello will return to his position of assistant superintendent.
Romaniello was called the "third texter" in a scandal involving the former superintendent and athletic director.
The two quit after they were accused of sending racist and sexist text messages.
Romaniello has said he did nothing wrong but the community has been calling for his firing for several weeks.
Action News spoke with a number of parents right after the announcement who told us this is right decision as this community works to move forward.
pennsylvania news, chester county news, coatesville news, local/state, kenneth moton
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City 30 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware 12 min ago
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
30 min ago
- Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
12 min ago