Holgate residents rebuilding, recovering a year after Sandy
HOLGATE, N.J. - October 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Residents of Holgate on Long Beach Island are still recovering a year after Hurricane Sandy and shared their stories with Action News.
12-year Holgate summer resident Jack Valyo is slowly rebuilding.
"It's going. Stay positive and improve every day; that's all I can do," Valyo said.
His home at Lindy's Trailer Park was gutted. He says insurance doesn't cover the damage, but he and his neighbors consider themselves lucky.
Hurricane Sandy levelled the LBI trailer park. All that's left is a vacant lot and memories.
"We come down to the space and have coffee in the morning. I just picked a tomato off an existing tomato plant on my spot just a little while ago. Something is alive there," Holgate resident Joe Shields said.
Construction business is very much alive in Long Beach Township.
Sandy damaged more than 4,000 homes.
A cottage industry of elevating homes has literally sprung up. But, about a quarter of residents are still awaiting insurance and government assistance.
Elizabeth Burke Beaty's family has lived in Holgate year round since the 1960s.
They are now renters. Sandy demolished their home and they can't rebuild.
"We lost everything. Everything, except for our lives, which is most important. We gained an amazing community," Beaty said.
new jersey news, hurricane sandy, hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, local/state, cecily tynan
- At least 16 hurt in East Harlem building explosion 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 7 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money 51 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 41 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
23 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
19 min ago