Exclusive: PECO cuts off power to those stealing electricity
GRAYS FERRY - October 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- PECO made a sweep Wednesday morning on a Grays Ferry block and cut off power to 12 homes that had been stealing electricity.
They caught residents by surprise as PECO crews moved in and began cutting illegal electric hookups.
At one home, the meter had been removed and the live power connection was covered only by a flap of plywood.
Two flimsy wires had been inserted to complete the circuit and supply free electricity to the home.
One of the residents in the home said "it was the landlord" who was stealing.
PECO records show the property owner had been stealing electricity at the home for the past three years.
The current tenants moved in last month with three young children.
Now, they're cut off because of an unscrupulous landlord.
They are not alone.
A dozen households on the block were getting free electricity.
They had tampered with the meters and some had spliced into power lines.
Downed power lines can kill and so can illegal splices that were found on some of the lines.
Another box had no meter and the live lines were exposed to the weather. The entire neighborhood was at risk.
"They're endangering not only themselves but their neighbors, their children, first responders who come out in case there's a fire, police officers, PECO employees," James Roscovich of PECO said.
The crews are out in the city every day disconnecting illegal hookups.
"This is a big problem for PECO. We investigate about 18,000 instances of potential theft every year," Ben Armstrong of PECO said.
Of those 18,000, PECO cuts off about 5,000 a year.
These are not people who are behind on their bills. PECO makes allowances for that. These are thieves who are putting their neighbors in danger, robbing from PECO and, by extension, taking money out of the pockets of honest customers.
philadelphia news, PECO, local/state, david henry
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in missing Malaysian jet 13 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend! 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
2 min ago
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in missing...
13 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos