Philadelphia police search for 3 suspects in robbery spree
PHILADELPHIA - October 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are asking for the public's help with a rash of armed hold-ups.
"These individuals are armed and dangerous. We need the public's help to get them off the street," said Captain Larry Nodiff.
Police have released a picture of the gunman who they say approached a woman, along with two other men and a women, in the 700 block of Passyunk Avenue just after 8:00 a.m. on October 19th.
They demanded her purse and cellphone before fleeing on Fitzwater in a green or gray Toyota Camry.
Police say the suspects rummaged through the victim's purse, taking her valuables before throwing it out of the car window.
"They seem to be escalating their pattern," said Lt. Nodiff.
A few days later, on October 22nd, police believe the same suspects confronted a 41-year-old woman at gunpoint in the 1300 block of South 5th Street around 6:00 a.m.
"They actually struggle with the female victim in order to get her bags and physically knocked her to the ground," said Lt. Nodiff.
Police say the female suspect was seen a short time later purchasing high end electronics at a nearby Walmart with the victim's debit card. They say it took the woman 5 minutes to make the purchases before walking out of the store to a waiting getaway car.
"I would characterize her as an experienced robber and thief," said Lt. Nodiff. "On some of the robberies, she appears to be a lookout."
Police believe the bandits struck first on October 17th in the 700 block of South 4th Street after following a 45-year-old man who was exiting a taxi around 11:00 p.m. The suspects robbed the man at gunpoint of his iPhone, credit cards and $15 in cash.
Police are warning people to be aware of their surroundings especially when getting out of their car or taxi.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia news, robbery, local/state, dann cuellar
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 39 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 15 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
39 min ago