Philadelphia police search for 3 suspects in robbery spree
PHILADELPHIA - October 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are asking for the public's help with a rash of armed hold-ups.
"These individuals are armed and dangerous. We need the public's help to get them off the street," said Captain Larry Nodiff.
Police have released a picture of the gunman who they say approached a woman, along with two other men and a women, in the 700 block of Passyunk Avenue just after 8:00 a.m. on October 19th.
They demanded her purse and cellphone before fleeing on Fitzwater in a green or gray Toyota Camry.
Police say the suspects rummaged through the victim's purse, taking her valuables before throwing it out of the car window.
"They seem to be escalating their pattern," said Lt. Nodiff.
A few days later, on October 22nd, police believe the same suspects confronted a 41-year-old woman at gunpoint in the 1300 block of South 5th Street around 6:00 a.m.
"They actually struggle with the female victim in order to get her bags and physically knocked her to the ground," said Lt. Nodiff.
Police say the female suspect was seen a short time later purchasing high end electronics at a nearby Walmart with the victim's debit card. They say it took the woman 5 minutes to make the purchases before walking out of the store to a waiting getaway car.
"I would characterize her as an experienced robber and thief," said Lt. Nodiff. "On some of the robberies, she appears to be a lookout."
Police believe the bandits struck first on October 17th in the 700 block of South 4th Street after following a 45-year-old man who was exiting a taxi around 11:00 p.m. The suspects robbed the man at gunpoint of his iPhone, credit cards and $15 in cash.
Police are warning people to be aware of their surroundings especially when getting out of their car or taxi.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia news, robbery, local/state, dann cuellar
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash