Overnight fire in Abington Twp. called 'suspicious'
ABINGTON TWP., Pa. - October 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Investigators are calling the fire at an apartment complex rental office in Abington Township, Montgomery County 'suspicious.'
The fire was reported around 1:15 a.m. at the Carriage House near the Carriage House Apartments and the Colonade Manor Apartments in the 100 block of Washington Lane.
The flames were contained to the Carriage House, which was used as an office and a storage facility.
Witness Leslie Nettles watched as the fire erupted through the roof.
"It looked like it was just going to actually collapse totally in because the fire came through the roof," Nettles said. "The smoke covered and you couldn't see nothing."
There were no further details on the cause of the fire.
However, according to residents, a threat toward one of the building's staff was spray-painted on the building in recent weeks.
Authorities have not said if that vandalism was connected to the fire.
There were no evacuations from the apartments, though residents were told to remain in place.
The fire was brought under control about two hours later.
"The nature of the construction of the building and its age were the biggest factors that made it difficult to fight the fire," said Chief Chris Bors of the McKinley Fire Co.
A firefighter sustained minor injuries battling the blaze.
The Carriage House was the original building on the property before the adjacent high-rises were built.
In a statement, a spokesman for Colonade said:
"We are fully cooperating with all public safety personnel during their investigation, and will be unable to speculate or comment about the situation during that process. We are grateful to the brave firefighters for all of their efforts in battling the fire and are thankful that none of our residents or employees were endangered."
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, fire, local/state
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 17 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia 28 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 38 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 38 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond 25 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall...
17 min ago
- Police investigate tire slashings in South...
28 min ago