Mayor Nutter helps bicyclist struck on MLK Drive
FAIRMOUNT PARK - October 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- A bicyclist was seriously injured after being struck by a car on Martin Luther King Drive Thursday morning.
It happened just before 9:00 a.m. near the Sweet Briar intersection.
According to police, the 63-year-old bicyclist entered the crosswalk from the running path side along the Schuylkill River going toward Sweet Briar. While in the crosswalk, he was struck by a Ford Focus driven by a 31-year-old woman, who was traveling westbound on Martin Luther King Drive.
The impact sent the bicyclist into the path of a second vehicle and was hit again.
According to the mayor's office, a staffer was on the way to work and passed the accident. Knowing that's the way the mayor takes, the staffer then called the Mayor Nutter to tell him to be aware that there was a crash that just happened, and that a man was lying in the street. A short time later, the mayor came upon the crash.
Witnesses tell Action News that the mayor was among the first on the scene, called for help, and stayed with the injured victim until paramedics arrived.
The bicyclist was transported to Hahnemann University Hospital with a broken hip and two broken legs.
The driver who struck the cyclist remained at the scene.
The accident is under investigation.
fairmount park, philadelphia news, accident, bicyclist struck, mayor michael nutter, local/state
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 28 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 6 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges 41 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop 33 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
28 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos