Mayor Nutter helps bicyclist struck on MLK Drive
FAIRMOUNT PARK - October 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- A bicyclist was seriously injured after being struck by a car on Martin Luther King Drive Thursday morning.
It happened just before 9:00 a.m. near the Sweet Briar intersection.
According to police, the 63-year-old bicyclist entered the crosswalk from the running path side along the Schuylkill River going toward Sweet Briar. While in the crosswalk, he was struck by a Ford Focus driven by a 31-year-old woman, who was traveling westbound on Martin Luther King Drive.
The impact sent the bicyclist into the path of a second vehicle and was hit again.
According to the mayor's office, a staffer was on the way to work and passed the accident. Knowing that's the way the mayor takes, the staffer then called the Mayor Nutter to tell him to be aware that there was a crash that just happened, and that a man was lying in the street. A short time later, the mayor came upon the crash.
Witnesses tell Action News that the mayor was among the first on the scene, called for help, and stayed with the injured victim until paramedics arrived.
The bicyclist was transported to Hahnemann University Hospital with a broken hip and two broken legs.
The driver who struck the cyclist remained at the scene.
The accident is under investigation.
fairmount park, philadelphia news, accident, bicyclist struck, mayor michael nutter, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Winter Warm Up 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 3 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 26 min ago
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 14 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 27 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Winter Warm Up
32 min ago
- Schools, daycares introduce yoga for kids
41 min ago
- Higher blood pressure threshold OK in older...
59 min ago