Elementary school, high school locked down briefly in Horsham, Pa.
HORSHAM, Pa. - November 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two public schools in Horsham, Montgomery County were placed under lockdown for 45 minutes Friday morning.
The lockdowns at Simmons Elementary School and Hatboro Horsham High School went into effect at 7:40 a.m. Friday after the Hatboro Horsham School District received an alert through the Montgomery County Emergency Communication System.
According to Superintendent Curtis Griffin, the two schools were locked down in response to both the alert and police activity in the area.
Neither the district nor police would say what prompted the alert.
"It's important to note that there were no issues or incidents within the schools," Griffin said in a statement released Friday afternoon. "This brief lockdown was simply an effective response to the emergency alert that we received. The schools followed Safe Schools and Emergency procedures."
School district officials said parents were notified through the district's email blast communication system.
School buses arriving at Simmons Elementary were rerouted to Keith Valley Middle School, which was outside of the lockdown zone.
The lockdown at both schools was lifted 45 minutes later, at 8:25 a.m.
Griffin said the district's Safe Schools Team will review Friday morning's lockdowns with an eye to improving safety and communications procedures throughout the district.
pennsylvania news, school, police, montgomery county news, local/state
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 3 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
29 min ago