Philadelphia gospel choir heads to LA for national competition
PHILADELPHIA - November 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A local Gospel choir is headed for a national competition in Los Angeles this weekend after winning a singing competition in New York City last month. And one of the choir members is the mother of a top notch Hollywood movie director.
Members of the Saint Thomas Gospel Choir are looking forward to representing Philadelphia in Verizon's "How Sweet the Sound" National Competition Saturday night in Los Angeles.
On October 3rd, they had no expectations as they participated in the preliminaries at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
"We were just excited that we had the privilege of being in the building itself," said Lynne Galloway.
And they never expected to take the top $10,000 prize in New York.
"Even a couple of weeks later, we were still saying, 'We actually won!' We couldn't believe it," said Daryn Stewart.
Thursday night was the choir's final rehearsal at the African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas in Overbrook Farms.
Founded in 1792, it was the first black Episcopal Church in the nation.
The choir was formed more than two decades ago, but Clare Daniels, an original choir member, says their choir director had good reason for concern, when he first heard the group sing.
"He just shook his head and said, 'Oh my God, my work is cut out for me,' because we were not singers," said Clare Mae Daniels.
Clare is the mother of celebrated movie director, Lee Daniels, who also sang in church before The Butler.
"He sang with the Boys' Choir at an early age," said Clare Daniels.
But choir director, Walter Blocker never gave up on Lee's mom or the rest of the choral group.
"I was blessed with the gift of being able to pull things out of people that they didn't know they had," said Blocker.
The 58 choir members left for Los Angeles Friday morning, again with no expectations, but for one reason& "To put out His Word through song," said Daniels.
lee daniels, los angeles, philadelphia news, new york, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 36 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 18 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 21 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire 32 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 20 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
36 min ago