School bus U-turn leads to crash in Newark, Delaware
NEWARK, Del. - November 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Newark, Delaware are investigating an accident involving a school bus and a sedan, resulting in several injuries.
The accident happened at 8:52 a.m. on the Christina Parkway, just east of Elkton Road.
According to investigators, the bus driver missed the turn for the Newark Charter School and attempted to make a U-turn. While attempting to make the U-turn, the bus turned into the path of a 2013 Volkswagen Passat.
16 students from the Newark Charter School were onboard the bus at the time of the crash. Six children, ages 5-9, sustained minor injuries and were transported by ambulance to Christiana Hospital for treatment.
The driver of the Passat, a 51-year-old woman, sustained minor neck and arm injuries and was also transported to Christiana Hospital for treatment.
The school bus driver, 59-year-old Joseph N. Walcott of Newark, Delaware, was not injured and was cited at the scene for making an improper U-Turn.
newark, del. news, delaware news, school bus, accident, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 33 min ago
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 55 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 25 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 52 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 16 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
33 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
25 min ago