School bus U-turn leads to crash in Newark, Delaware
NEWARK, Del. - November 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Newark, Delaware are investigating an accident involving a school bus and a sedan, resulting in several injuries.
The accident happened at 8:52 a.m. on the Christina Parkway, just east of Elkton Road.
According to investigators, the bus driver missed the turn for the Newark Charter School and attempted to make a U-turn. While attempting to make the U-turn, the bus turned into the path of a 2013 Volkswagen Passat.
16 students from the Newark Charter School were onboard the bus at the time of the crash. Six children, ages 5-9, sustained minor injuries and were transported by ambulance to Christiana Hospital for treatment.
The driver of the Passat, a 51-year-old woman, sustained minor neck and arm injuries and was also transported to Christiana Hospital for treatment.
The school bus driver, 59-year-old Joseph N. Walcott of Newark, Delaware, was not injured and was cited at the scene for making an improper U-Turn.
newark, del. news, delaware news, school bus, accident, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 20 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 17 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 3 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 37 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos