School bus U-turn leads to crash in Newark, Delaware
NEWARK, Del. - November 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Newark, Delaware are investigating an accident involving a school bus and a sedan, resulting in several injuries.
The accident happened at 8:52 a.m. on the Christina Parkway, just east of Elkton Road.
According to investigators, the bus driver missed the turn for the Newark Charter School and attempted to make a U-turn. While attempting to make the U-turn, the bus turned into the path of a 2013 Volkswagen Passat.
16 students from the Newark Charter School were onboard the bus at the time of the crash. Six children, ages 5-9, sustained minor injuries and were transported by ambulance to Christiana Hospital for treatment.
The driver of the Passat, a 51-year-old woman, sustained minor neck and arm injuries and was also transported to Christiana Hospital for treatment.
The school bus driver, 59-year-old Joseph N. Walcott of Newark, Delaware, was not injured and was cited at the scene for making an improper U-Turn.
newark, del. news, delaware news, school bus, accident, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed