Pictures released of suspects in deadly Reading robbery
READING, Pa. - November 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Berks County say two robbery suspects were shot and killed by a concerned citizen outside a Reading convenience store.
Friends and family of the dead suspects have identified the two as 24-year-old William Medina and 18-year-old Robert DeCarr.
They tried to portray the two as good hard working men. However, others in the rough Reading neighborhood say the two got what they deserved.
Meanwhile, police arrested 21-year-old Alexander Garcia-Bialek, the alleged driver of the get-away car. He's now facing 2nd degree murder charges.
Berks County District Attorney John Adams says according to Pennsylvania state law, Garcia-Bialek is liable for the deaths of his friends because he is an accomplice to a felony that involve the death of another person.
It was just after 2:00 p.m. Monday when shots rang out outside Krick's Korner Market on the 1600 block of North 9th Street.
Adams says cameras were rolling as the men, donning masks and armed with guns, entered the store and terrorized employees, pointing their weapons and making demands.
A concerned citizen witnessed the robbery happening from outside the store and waited there for the suspects.
The armed men took cash, cigarettes and lottery tickets before exiting the store. Outside they were confronted by the concerned citizen who told them not to move and that he was calling police.
Adams said a struggle ensued and the suspects took out their weapons. The citizen, however, was also armed and fired at the suspects.
The suspects were both shot in the chest and died at the scene.
Police took the armed citizen in for questioning, but after reviewing video of the incident and speaking with a number of witnesses, authorities released the man.
Adams said the shooter was very cooperative. The man had a license to carry, and since he was threatened at gunpoint, no charges are expected to be filed.
berks county news, pennsylvania news, reading news, shooting, homicide, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos