Community gathers for victims injured in Bellmawr electric shock incident
BELLMAWR, N.J. - November 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- In Bellmawr, New Jersey, a community came together Monday night to offer support to three people who were nearly electrocuted.
Family and friends gathered on the 900 block of Alcyon Drive for a candlelight vigil for 18-year-old Selena Walker, 63-year-old Julio "Papi" Figueroa and 67-year-old Frank Coberg, more than 24 hours after the three were nearly electrocuted Sunday.
"When there's tough times, we all stick together. So everybody is praying for Frank, Papi, Selena," neighbor Diane Kelly said.
Witnesses say the boyfriend of Walker's mother threw a set of car keys on the roof of nearby Bellmawr Manor after an argument.
Walker and her two neighbors grabbed a metal ladder and were holding on to it when it touched a power line.
Walker's mother, Betsy Colon, who watched her go down says she's on life support and could have brain damage.
She attends Triton Regional High where students and teachers wrote a lot of messages of support for the senior.
Colon was too upset to speak about her daughter on camera but spoke about Figueroa who is expected to survive.
"He's an amazing guy. He was there to help me; it's breaking me," Colon said.
"He gets hyper when we get there, when he hears our voices, so we have to leave out the room," victim's son Alex Figueroa said.
Coberg, the third victim, was actually on the ladder.
The husband and father is also not doing well which is why it was important for his neighbors to come together and pray.
Walker's mother says she has dreams of becoming a Marine like her father who passed away a few months ago.
All three victims were taken to Cooper University Hospital.
new jersey news, camden county news, electric shock, local/state, kenneth moton
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow 9 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 54 min ago
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents 53 min ago
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 52 min ago
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt 59 min ago
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery 55 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 47 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 45 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
49 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire...
54 min ago
- Rescuers airlift horse out of Angeles...
43 min ago