Family escapes stray bullet in deadly shooting in Kensington
PHILADELPHIA - November 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a family narrowly escaped a stray bullet after a deadly shooting in the city's Kensington section Tuesday night.
Police say gunfire erupted near H and Russell Streets in West Kensington section of the city just after 8:00 p.m.
24-year-old Eugenio Hernandez was shot in the chest and later died at the hospital.
A 29-year-old man was hit in the leg. He is in stable condition at Temple University Hospital.
"He walks in the store and grab the Sprite and then two minute later you hear the gunshots."
Wilber Caceres was working at a nearby corner store when the shots were fired. He says he looked up at the surveillance cameras and saw Hernandez.
Caceres didn't see the shooter.
Police tell us they found a total of 12 shell casings from the shooting.
One bullet went through a window of a nearby house with a family inside, including four children but no one was hurt.
The shooting remains under investigation. If you have any information about this shooting you're asked to call Philadelphia police.
shooting, homicide, kensington news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 9 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 6 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 48 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ