Witnesses: Police cruiser runs down man on bike in Hunting Park
HUNTING PARK - November 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two Philadelphia police officers and a bicyclist have been hospitalized following an incident in the city's Hunting Park section.
Action News was there as relatives helped 30-year old Juan Mario Lugo, who was on crutches, into his home Wednesday night after being released from the hospital.
He says he suffered a concussion, bruises to his face and a badly injured foot.
"They almost killed me, they almost killed me and that's not justified. That's not justifiable," Juan Mario Lugo said.
He says it began when he and his father Robert got into a heated argument and his father called police to calm him down.
"I called the police officers, but they responded the wrong way cause I told them, 'it's no emergency or anything,'" Robert Lugo said.
But responding officers thought Juan was involved in a robbery and witnesses say they chase him down as he was riding his bike near 5th and Lycoming.
"I see them, they make a U-turn, they came right behind him and instead of cutting him off real short and nicely, they jumped the curb, hit him with the car, he goes up in the air and that was it," witness Roberto Aponte said.
"Didn't hear no sirens. And boom, right into the man. Squished him in half. I thought he was dead," witness Sandra LaPorte said.
"They seen him and it was like he was wanted for murder, I mean look at that, look at that cop car, that doesn't make no sense," Mario's brother Robert Lugo, Jr. said.
Lugo and the two 25th district officers who suffered minor injuries in the crash were all taken to the hospital.
"They said that I tried to rob somebody. How do I try to rob somebody if you're chasing me? I live around the block," Mario Lugo said.
"I'm gonna get a lawyer and we're gonna get everything straighten out here because what they did was unjustified, they could've killed him, they could've killed somebody else that was walking down the street," Robert Lugo said.
Lugo was not charged with any wrongdoing.
Action News has learned Juan Mario Lugo has had other brushes with the law in the past for retail theft, drugs and driving under the influence of drugs.
The entire incident remains under investigation.
Action News has learned Juan Mario Lugo has had other brushes with the law for retail theft, drugs and driving under the influence of drugs.
hunting park news, philadelphia news, accident, local/state
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot 55 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 59 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 40 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
59 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos