Berks County teacher arrested for alleged relationshiip with student
TULPEHOCKEN, Pa. - November 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Berks County high school teacher and cheerleading coach is under arrest for allegedly having a sexual relationship with one of her students.
Officials say 27-year-old Nicole Kurowski, a gym teacher at Tulpehocken High School outside Reading, surrendered Wednesday to face charges of institutional sexual assault. She was freed on bail.
Her lawyer didn't immediately return a phone call seeking comment Thursday.
State police allege that Kurowski had a sexual relationship with a male student both on and off school property during the last school year, and that some of the encounters took place during school hours.
Police said they recovered thousands of text messages, some sexually explicit, as well as photos, and they alleged that the two traded messages saying "I love you."
The district superintendent, Edward Albert, said he received a tip about Kurowski in early September and notified police and the Berks County district attorney's office.
"I think whenever you are in education, and you are trying to work with kids and you see something like this happen, it is disheartening," Albert told WFMZ-TV.
Kurowski has been suspended without pay pending the outcome of the case.
students, teachers, school, pennsylvania news, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 40 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 24 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man 49 min ago
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 38 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 12 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
38 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos