Former Kraft plant could be closing for good
PHILADELPHIA - November 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hundreds of local plant workers are worried they may be losing their jobs after learning a long-standing food factory on Roosevelt Boulevard may be closing for good.
The plant on Roosevelt Boulevard at Byberry has lived through many names: Nabisco, Kraft, now Mondelez.
Employees say they were called into an emergency meeting on Wednesday and told the plant would likely close. That could mean as many as 300 people could be out of work.
Union President John Lazar explained, "It was more or less a prepared statement that they read from. And he just said that they were exploring the possibility of shutting the Philadelphia facility down because they wanted to sure up their East Coast production."
If the work leaves, so will 275 to 375 jobs.
Nolin Mauer has worked at what was once known as the Kraft Nabisco Plant for 20 years mixing baking goods like Ritz, Oreos and other snacks.
"Everybody is sad, hurt because it's not like they aren't making money hand over foot," said Nolin Maurer.
Maurer added, "Usually when they have a town hall meeting its planned weeks in advance. This one here was the day before; was rumored, then they pulled us in and told us about it."
"We don't know what exactly is going on," said Matt Rockenbach. "They didn't give us any time frame. They just said the Philadelphia bakery will likely be shutting its doors. They don't know when."
Last year, Kraft split into two companies. The plant is now owned by Mondelez International.
Employees have heard rumblings their jobs will be sent outside of the United States to Mexico where their company is building a plant.
"Right now, there is nothing we can do until it ends. Right now they say it's not official, but you know it's going to happen. The jobs are going. It's a shame. It's a shame," said Maurer.
Action News made several attempts to contact Mondelez International for a comment but was unsuccessful.
kraft, food, northeast philadelphia news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police