Police dog, suspect shot in Egg Harbor Township
EGG HARBOR TWP., N.J. - November 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A paroled killer is in critical condition and a police canine unit was injured after gunfire erupted in Egg Harbor Township Thursday evening.
It was around 3:30 p.m. when authorities attempted to conduct a car stop on the Black Horse Pike near the Travel Lodge. But the suspect fled on foot into a nearby swampy area.
While attempting to apprehend the suspect, shots were fired and the man was hit multiple times. A police canine officer was also struck.
The suspect, identified as 39-year-old Donald Capriotti - aka Donald Gardner - of Egg Harbor Township is listed in critical condition at Atlantic Care Regional Medical Center.
The police canine, named Shooter, was taken to an animal hospital in Red Bank, New Jersey after being shot in the neck. Officials say the dog is expected to make a full recovery.
Around 5:10 p.m., SWAT officers apprehended a woman from Room 15 at the Destiny Inn, taking her away in handcuffs. It's not clear what role she plays in the investigation.
Action News has learned Capriotti has already served a prison sentence for manslaughter. He was also arrested in June after authorities found drugs and weapons inside his Egg Harbor Township home.
Authorities plan on charging Capriotti with two counts of aggravated assault and eluding police. Police returned to the marshy area Friday to search for a gun that Capriotti is alleged to have used in the incident.
The New Jersey State Attorney General's Office tells Action News that their shooting response team, made up of attorneys, detectives and state police investigators, are now working the case.
atlantic county news, new jersey news, police, local/state
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 28 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Package prompts evac at Del. National Guard base 37 min ago
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 24 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River 22 min ago
- Thousands run first Boston Marathon since bombings 3 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 7 min ago
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!