Police dog, suspect shot in Egg Harbor Township
EGG HARBOR TWP., N.J. - November 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A paroled killer is in critical condition and a police canine unit was injured after gunfire erupted in Egg Harbor Township Thursday evening.
It was around 3:30 p.m. when authorities attempted to conduct a car stop on the Black Horse Pike near the Travel Lodge. But the suspect fled on foot into a nearby swampy area.
While attempting to apprehend the suspect, shots were fired and the man was hit multiple times. A police canine officer was also struck.
The suspect, identified as 39-year-old Donald Capriotti - aka Donald Gardner - of Egg Harbor Township is listed in critical condition at Atlantic Care Regional Medical Center.
The police canine, named Shooter, was taken to an animal hospital in Red Bank, New Jersey after being shot in the neck. Officials say the dog is expected to make a full recovery.
Around 5:10 p.m., SWAT officers apprehended a woman from Room 15 at the Destiny Inn, taking her away in handcuffs. It's not clear what role she plays in the investigation.
Action News has learned Capriotti has already served a prison sentence for manslaughter. He was also arrested in June after authorities found drugs and weapons inside his Egg Harbor Township home.
Authorities plan on charging Capriotti with two counts of aggravated assault and eluding police. Police returned to the marshy area Friday to search for a gun that Capriotti is alleged to have used in the incident.
The New Jersey State Attorney General's Office tells Action News that their shooting response team, made up of attorneys, detectives and state police investigators, are now working the case.
atlantic county news, new jersey news, police, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire 30 min ago
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees 38 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids