$10K reward offered in 1993 murder of teenage girl in Montgomery County
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - November 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Montgomery County have announced a $10,000 reward in a murder case that has stumped investigators for 20 years.
The beaten body of 18-year-old Julie Barnyock was found in a ditch near the Lansdale train station back in December 1993.
She was last seen at that train station on November 8, 1993 awaiting a ride home from her father.
On Friday Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Ferman used the 20th anniversary of Barnyock's disappearance to announce the re-opening of the case and to post the reward.
"Science has changed a great deal over the past 20 years. While there were certainly things done forensically to look at the evidence we've started from scratch," said D.A. Ferman.
Ferman said evidence from the case has been re-submitted for lab analysis, and a new team of detectives is now investigating the case.
"It's all hands on deck. We have every detective on the case and ready to go," said Chief Bob McDyre, Lansdale Police.
Investigators are hoping the reward will prompt someone with information not originally available to police to come forward.
"The reason we are announcing this reward is simply the hope that there is someone out there that has new information about the case. Perhaps someone who has been confided in by a person close to them and after 20 years it's time for them to release that information to us," said D.A. Ferman.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Montgomery County Detectives or the Lansdale Police Department.
pennsylvania news, homicide, cold case, montgomery county news, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after DUI arrest 3 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders 8 min ago
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 31 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Frost Advisory Overnight
3 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
31 min ago