Father accidentally shoots self inside Reading store
READING, Pa. - November 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A terrible accident sent a Reading, Pennsylvania father to the hospital. The 39-year-old man was reaching for his wallet when he mistakenly shot himself in the leg.
Giovanni Ruiz rested comfortably at home today with his children at his side, recovering from the self-inflicted gunshot wound he sustained Thursday, right in front of his two youngest children.
He is experienced in handling a firearm.
Ruiz says, "My mistake is because you know, I leave the gun in my pocket, when I'm not supposed to carry my gun in my pocket. That's my big mistake."
It happened inside the Reading Plaza Supermarket in the 600 block of Greenwich Street. Giovanni was checking out of a line when he reached into his pocket for money, and suddenly the 357-magnum he legally carries went off, hitting him in the right calf and exiting near his ankle.
His son, Jonathan Ruiz, was next to his father when the shot went off. He tells us, "When I heard the gunshot I didn't know what to think. And then my dad just fell to the floor."
The Honduran native has been in the U.S. for 19 years. Violence in his neighborhood prompts him to carry a weapon.
The children stayed home from school to help their father today, and to get over the trauma yesterday's events triggered.
Giovanni Ruiz, Jr. tells us, "I'm just glad it wasn't worse. And usually my brother and sister are always right next to him - always. They never leave his side."
"I'm very thankful he's OK," said Jonathan.
Reading police say the incident was an accident, and since Giovanni Ruiz is licensed to have a gun and to carry it, they are closing the book on the case.
reading news, berks county news, pennsylvania news, shooting, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine 47 min ago
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 15 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape