18-year-old killed while crossing Kirkwood Highway
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - November 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- State police say an 18-year-old man died after he was struck by two cars while crossing Kirkwood Highway in Wilmington.
Police say 18-year-old Nigel Simon of Newark was crossing the eastbound lanes when he was hit by a minivan.
The impact sent him into the westbound lanes, where he was hit again, this time by a pickup truck.
Simon died at the scene.
No one inside the two vehicles was injured.
Police say there was no crosswalk where Simon crossed the road, which was about 250 feet from the nearest intersection.
Authorities say the driver did remain at the scene.
Westbound lanes were closed and eastbound traffic was reduced to one lane as police investigated.
delaware news, new castle county news, accident, pedestrian struck, local/state
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 53 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school 1 min ago
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests