Video released of moments before fatal NJ Transit bus accident
CAMDEN, N.J. - November 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- The final seconds of 64-year-old Shambra Rollins' life was captured on surveillance video as she waited for her bus inside Los Amigos Grocery in Camden on Sunday afternoon.
Around 12:30 p.m., she ran out, on the phone, with one hand in the air trying to flag down a New Jersey Transit Route 401 bus at South Broadway and Royden streets.
However the worst part of the story happened off camera when the bus hit and killed the retired school teacher.
"The driver saw her and it was a red light. I don't know why she didn't stop," said Keith Clark, victim's son-in-law.
Rollins was on her way into Philadelphia to attend church with family members.
Her grieving daughter rushed to the scene, which is around the corner from her mother's home.
"She'll live on. She'll live on, I know that. She just won't be seen," said Tamara Rollins, daughter.
Rollins was a mother of three, a grandmother and a great grandmother.
She served more than 25 years as a special education teacher for the Camden School District and recently retired.
Her family took some solace knowing she was a religious woman who was loved by the community.
"My mom always put God first, put her tithes first, then she blessed others with what she had, even when she didn't have much, she did it," said Tamara.
Witnesses say the distraught NJ Transit bus driver dropped to her knees in tears after the accident.
The victim's son-in-law, who saw the impact, believes it was all just a horrible mistake.
"She waved at the driver, the driver looked like she was coming to a full stop but she pushed the gas and ran right over her," said Clark.
Authorities say the driver was distraught and was taken to the hospital after the accident.
No charges have been filed and Camden County Police continue to investigate.
new jersey news, camden county news, camden news, accident, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 1 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse 56 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 35 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began 39 min ago
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad