Changing face of hunger - Paula Thompson
HADDONFIELD, N.J. - November 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Every year during the holiday season, 6abc partners in the region's largest food drive. And all month long, we're shining a light on the growing need.
According to the Coalition Against Hunger, at least 1 in 7 people in our area struggle to put food on the table.
When you think of Haddonfield in Camden County, you may think wealthy suburb, but 4-percent of the town's population lives in poverty.
Not so long ago, Paula Thomason was married with 6 kids and a thriving real estate career. But then her marriage fell apart and the real estate bubble burst.
"The amount of income that we get just so radically dropped," said Paula.
She lost her house and her real estate license when she couldn't keep up with the fees, and started taking whatever jobs she could find.
She now works part time at a jewelry store but her hours were recently cut to just two days a week.
Paula said it was hard to all of a sudden have to worry about money and something as basic as that to eat every day.
"It's very overwhelming. It can be so overwhelming you can't function," she said.
Paula is trying to get her real estate license back. In the meantime, she relies on Philabundance to help feed her family.
"You shouldn't have to choose between food and your electric bill," she said.
As Paula prepares dinner with her son, they say their prayers and thank the people who donate to places like Philabundance.
"I would love to get some fresh fruits and vegetables from Philabundance," she said. "The people that donate, God bless you, because it really makes such a difference."
Last year, the 6abc Dunkin Donuts Holiday Food Drive provided 175,000 meals to families in need. This year, we hope to do even more.
If you'd like to help, click here to see the many ways you can Connect. Share. Give.
Connect. Share. Give.
food, new jersey news, local/state
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Finally, a nice weekend! 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro 5 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Suspect sketch in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run 21 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
7 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos