Local family's story on primetime episode of 'The Goldbergs'
JENKINTOWN, Pa. - November 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- In Primetime Tuesday night on 6abc, the Goldbergs are throwing a barbeque bash for their next door neighbors. It's a case of art imitating life with a very special local connection.
An all new episode of The Goldbergs called "The Kremps" is creating big time local buzz.
That's because the Kremps are a real family from Montgomery County!
The show's creator based the hit show on his real life, so of course he included his real neighbors, and his real life best friend.
"I have something very important to tell you. The Kremps are coming over for a BBQ."
That's big news for the TV family and even bigger because the Kremps are a real family from Jenkintown who lived right across the street from the Goldbergs on New Bold Road.
Their story, their home, even their florist in Willow Grove are all cast members on the hit ABC show Tuesday night.
"I flew thousands of miles across the country and I walked into a sound stage on the Sony lot and there is this house that's supposed to look like a Jenkintown house. They also recreated our flower shop," said Chad Kremp.
Chad Kremp and Adam Goldberg, the show's creator, were best friends growing up.
"They describe me as preppy on the outside and nerdy on the inside," said Chad.
While he was there for the taping, Chad landed a cameo in Tuesday night's episode.
"They ended up putting me in the deli scene where the woman that plays my mom and she comes in and yells at the deli guy for not slicing the lunch meat thin enough and I am the deli guy," said Chad.
The young actor who plays Chad's brother Drew was cast as a so called "jock".
"I think it was a relief to see that he was a fairly good looking guy, and the stud of the show," said Drew Kremp.
The Kremps have run the family business for 56 years and say local fans of the show go gaga for Goldberg's hometown shout-outs.
The family will be watching the episode from the scene of where the story all began.
"The Goldbergs have moved since then, but the Kremps are still there, so we'll be at home watching the show," said Chad Kremp.
As kids, Chad and Adam captured all of their real life comedy on VHS camcorders and Chad told me he sent all of his childhood tapes to Adam who said we just might see some of the footage at the end of Tuesday night's episode.
The Goldbergs can be seen on 6abc Tuesday nights at 9:00 p.m.
abc, 6abc, pennsylvania news, local/state
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 33 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 19 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 25 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 56 min ago