Washington Twp. family searches for loved ones missing in Philippines
WASHINGTON TWP., N.J. - November 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Filipino American Mayette Calleja-Baglieri and her husband Frank have spent hours on Facebook trying to learn the fate of loved ones in the Philippines.
"I feel like this is ethereal like it's not me. Like it's not me," Mayette said.
The majority of the Washington Township woman's family lives in the hard hit area of Tacloban- dozens of uncles, aunts and cousins.
Her 86-year-old aunt and matriarch of the family survived the typhoon, but Mayette just learned her first cousin Teresita was killed and another cousin named BetBet is still missing.
"I'm hoping that she's still alive and her children, we don't know anything about her children," Mayette said.
The new images coming out of Mayette's native country are hard to see.
She visits every year and has a home outside of Manila, the capital.
"I think this is only the beginning because so many families their lives have been destroyed, their homes, their occupations, it's not going to return to the way it was," Frank said.
Like so many, the South Jersey couple has been turning to groups like the Filipino Executive Council of Greater Philadelphia and Red Cross to figure out ways to send aid.
While they wait to hear word on family members, Mayette says an email from her daughter is keeping her strong.
"'Tindog Tacloban.' You know what that means? Standup Tacloban! Stand up! Don't stay down! Stand up! That was excellent. Tindog. I really felt that," Mayette said.
severe weather, philippines, new jersey news, local/state, kenneth moton
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 4 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge 11 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 30 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer 34 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
4 min ago