Washington Twp. family searches for loved ones missing in Philippines
WASHINGTON TWP., N.J. - November 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Filipino American Mayette Calleja-Baglieri and her husband Frank have spent hours on Facebook trying to learn the fate of loved ones in the Philippines.
"I feel like this is ethereal like it's not me. Like it's not me," Mayette said.
The majority of the Washington Township woman's family lives in the hard hit area of Tacloban- dozens of uncles, aunts and cousins.
Her 86-year-old aunt and matriarch of the family survived the typhoon, but Mayette just learned her first cousin Teresita was killed and another cousin named BetBet is still missing.
"I'm hoping that she's still alive and her children, we don't know anything about her children," Mayette said.
The new images coming out of Mayette's native country are hard to see.
She visits every year and has a home outside of Manila, the capital.
"I think this is only the beginning because so many families their lives have been destroyed, their homes, their occupations, it's not going to return to the way it was," Frank said.
Like so many, the South Jersey couple has been turning to groups like the Filipino Executive Council of Greater Philadelphia and Red Cross to figure out ways to send aid.
While they wait to hear word on family members, Mayette says an email from her daughter is keeping her strong.
"'Tindog Tacloban.' You know what that means? Standup Tacloban! Stand up! Don't stay down! Stand up! That was excellent. Tindog. I really felt that," Mayette said.
severe weather, philippines, new jersey news, local/state, kenneth moton
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
28 min ago