Arrest in kidnapping, beating of YMCA worker in Vineland
VINELAND, N.J. - November 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested one man and are looking for another in the kidnapping, robbery and beating of an employee at the Vineland, New Jersey YMCA.
Luis Navarro, 30, of the 100 block of West Chestnut Street, was arrested shortly after the crime on Tuesday.
Investigators say it was around 12:15 a.m. when a 62-year-old male employee, who was working by himself, was hit from behind with a blunt object, tied up with duct tape, and shocked with a stun gun.
The victim was taken to a boilerl room in the building, still tied up, as the two suspects stole his wallet and keys.
The robbers then disabled the surveillance cameras in the exercise room and took five flat screen televisions off the wall.
They also lifted several leaf blowers, a snow blower and vacuum cleaners.
About an hour later the victim was able to free himself and, with the help of a good Samaritan, was able to contact police.
The man then noticed his car was moved alongside the building, and police say the suspects moved it so they could put stolen items inside.
The suspects then drove off, but crashed the car on Roberts Avenue. Navarro was found nearby.
Investigators determined Navarro had keys to the YMCA because he worked for the cleaning company used by the gym.
Navarro's bail was set at $500,000 full and he was sent to the Cumberland County jail.
While the search for the second suspect continues, police say they think they know who that person is. Investigators are looking for surveillance video to help make a positive ID.
new jersey news, cumberland county news, assault, robbery, kidnapping, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting 16 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila. 6 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
16 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
6 min ago
- Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
12 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos