Florence firefighter returns to work after explosion
FLORENCE TWP., N.J. - November 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Firefighter Brian Richardson has returned to work with the Florence Fire Department which is no small accomplishment after what happened to him.
Back in May of 2012 he was critically injured while responding to a tractor-trailer fire on 295 in Mansfield.
An explosion occurred, blowing off a backdoor that hit Richardson in the head.
"When you consider what happened and the fact I can walk, I can move my hands, it's impressive," Richardson said.
It is impressive, especially for a guy who'd been given the last rites at the hospital.
But after a year and a half of intensive physical and cognitive therapy, he's back on the job, serving as the department mechanic, town fire marshal and responding to fire calls again
"He's knee deep in repairing the vehicles and some things with the building and he just brings a lot of fun and humor back to the station," Florence Fire Chief Keith Scully said.
Richardson says he still has trouble finding words sometimes, even though he knows what he wants to say and he now carries a gas warning meter with him at all times because after the accident he lost his sense of taste and smell. Still, he's thankful to be here.
"I definitely go to church every Sunday now. I don't miss church. I'm very thankful for everything and every day's a blessing," Richardson said.
Throughout his recovery, fellow firefighters supported Brian Richardson and his wife April by holding fundraisers and making meals. He says that made a big difference
"It's absolutely tremendous, it's uplifting, and it's very helpful in the healing process," Richardson said.
A process that continues now that Brian Richardson has been cleared for duty and is back at the job he loves.
new jersey news, burlington county news, fire, local/state, nora muchanic
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 12 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 18 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 17 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 24 min ago
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
4 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
17 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos