Sources: Montgomery County GOP chairman resigns amid sex assault investigation
PHILADELPHIA - November 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Chairman of Montgomery County Republican Committee, Bob Kerns, abruptly resigned his position late Thursday afternoon.
Sunday during a Montgomery County GOP breakfast many on the committee learned what sources have confirmed to Action News that Kerns is being investigated for a sexual assault.
Robert Kerns officially resigned as the chairman of Montgomery County's Republican Committee.
In a statement released by the executive director Thursday, they announced the acceptance of his resignation, but said they have "no comment on media reports related to a possible criminal investigation of Mr. Kerns unrelated to his duties as chairman".
Kerns is also a lawyer and a partner at Kerns, Pearlstine, Onorato and Hladi.
Center Ccity defense attorney Brian McMonagle confirmed Kerns is a client but wouldn't specify why he was hired.
Sources tell Action News the victim alleges the assault currently being investigated happened October 25th.
Montgomery County Commissioner and former District Attorney Bruce Castor released a statement saying: "While this is another sad day for the Montgomery County Republican Committee, we will come out of it stronger than before. I urge people not to speculate, and let law enforcement do their work."
Sources say Kerns last job as chairman was to call a special meeting for December 4th where a new chairman will be selected.
No charges have been filed and the investigation is ongoing.
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, sex assault, republicans, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos