Upper Dublin student wins Gettysburg Address competition
UPPER DUBLIN TWP., Pa. - November 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- An Upper Dublin Township 11th grader won a state-wide competition, commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address.
The contest was dubbed 'In Lincoln's Footsteps.'
After beating out 140 students from across the state of Pennsylvania, 16-year-old Lauren Pyfer has claimed the top prize.
Students were asked to write a contemporary version of President Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
"Exulting the themes and the values that he put forth - bravery, courage, and sacrifice. National purpose but in modern day," said Danielle McNamara, history teacher at Upper Dublin High School.
Three other students from Upper Dublin, joined Lauren as one of the seven finalists in the contest.
For her winning 270 word speech, Lauren will receive a $5,000 cash scholarship prize and a one year tuition scholarship to one of 14 colleges in Pennsylvania.
"When Lincoln spoke, he was just speaking to the U.S. but now my speech revolves around relating it to the whole world. Science and technology have advanced. One of my favorite parts of the speech revolves around a certain metaphor. So I kind of stuck with that metaphor that relates to the global aspect of the speech," said Lauren.
"It's wonderful recognition for her. It's recognition for our academic program. It's great recognition for the whole school," said Principal Robert Schultz.
The 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address is next Tuesday. On that day, Lauren will deliver her wining speech at the Dedication Day ceremony at Soldier's National Cemetery.
For now she and her history teacher have been fully engaged in perfecting it, before the big trip to Gettysburg.
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, gettysburg, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild! 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly 42 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
40 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
42 min ago