Driver turns herself into authorities in deadly Olney hit-and-run
PHILADELPHIA - November 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a 23-year-old woman involved in a deadly hit and run accident has turned herself into authorities.
It happened around 3:00 a.m. Saturday near the intersection of Rising Sun Avenue and C Street in Olney.
A surveillance camera in Olney captured 42-year-old Victor Ortiz before he was sideswiped by one car and fatally hit by another on Rising Sun Avenue.
"Once he got hit the first time, I'm just astounded. I just can't believe he just got hit," said Loren Williams, owner of La Barra Martini Bar and Restaurant.
Williams says Ortiz was intoxicated, trying to get into the bar to see his girlfriend.
"She's letting me know that she was having some difficulties with him and I shouldn't let him in the bar. So next thing I know he's knocking at the bar," said Williams.
Williams says police were called and Ortiz, who happens to live across the street, tried to avoid officers and stumbled into traffic.
They watched as the man was hit by a southbound car, thrown into the northbound lane of Rising Sun Avenue and then struck by another vehicle.
"I screamed out to him after the first car, I said 'Vic, get out the street.' As soon as I said that, the second car hits him," said Williams.
Investigators say the first car, a silver older model Honda Accord with tinted windows took off but left a piece of it's front bumper at the scene. The driver turned herself in early Sunday morning.
Ortiz's girlfriend, Kenya Matos, who is trying to come to terms with her last moments with him, says he shouldn't be judged by his final actions.
Ortiz was a father who worked as an electrician and plumber.
"He loved my kids, he was very nice and he helped everybody," said Matos.
According to police, the driver of the second vehicle stopped at the scene and will most likely not be charged.
olney news, philadelphia news, accident, hit and run, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- Milder this afternoon 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs