Driver arrested for DUI after striking University of Delaware officer
NEWARK, Del. - November 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Newark say they've arrested a 29-year-old woman and charged her with driving under the influence after she hit a University of Delaware Police Officer.
Police say 29-year-old Melinda Dunlap of Dover was driving on East Delaware Avenue Friday around 2:30 p.m. when she hit the officer who was directing traffic.
The officer directed Dunlap to stop to allow pedestrians to cross, but she didn't and struck the officer in the right arm. She then drove off.
Dunlap was chased on foot and taken into custody when she struck a 1999 Oldsmobile sedan in traffic.
The officer was treated on the scene for a minor injury to his right elbow. The driver of the Oldsmobile was not injured.
Dunlap did not appear to have a listed number.
delaware news, newark, del. news, university of delaware, accident, DUI, local/state
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 43 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ