Water main break shuts down Red Lion Road in Northeast Philadelphia
BUSTLETON - November 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A large water main break shut down traffic at a busy intersection in Northeast Philadelphia Monday morning.
It happened before 7:30 a.m. Monday at Red Lion and Verree Roads in Bustleton.
Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) spokesman John DiGiulio told Action News a 12-inch main ruptured.
Images from Chopper 6 HD over the scene showed water surging up from beneath several manhole covers, flooding a large portion of the intersection.
PWD shut down water service in the area at 9:30 a.m. The utility said 10 businesses and 15 residences were without water.
Red Lion Road was closed from Ferndale Road to Verree Road.
There was no immediate word when the repairs would be completed.
philadelphia news, water main break, northeast philadelphia news, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ