Woman arrested in knifepoint robberies in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - November 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested the knife-wielding suspect in relation to two violent robberies in South Philadelphia.
Officers on patrol arrested 34-year-old Tara Silva on Wednesday in the 2000 block of Opal Street for the two incidents.
The first robbery happened on November 18th at the Grace Grocery, located on the 2000 block of South 19th Street. It was 12:14 p.m. when Silva entered the store armed with a large knife.
She then restrained the employee using duct tape before taking cash, cigarettes and the employee's cell phone, all awhile beating the victim.
She was seen fleeing the store north on 19th Street.
The following day, on November 19th, Silva entered the Dollar Tree on the 2400 block of South 23rd Street.
Again armed with a large knife, she approached an employee and demanded money. The employee gave her an undetermined amount of cash, and she fled south on 23rd Street.
Just prior to the Dollar Tree robbery, Silva was captured on surveillance video outside the store.
She is charged with robbery, aggravated assault and related charges.
south philadelphia news, philadelphia news, robbery, assault, beating, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 59 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Deadly hit and run suspect van caught on camera 1 min ago
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
23 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
50 min ago
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
59 min ago