No charges in fatal 2012 Chesterfield bus crash
CHESTERFIELD TWP., N.J. - November 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Burlington County Prosecutor's Office said there will be no criminal charges filed in the fatal school bus crash in Chesterfield Township last year.
The crash, which happened back on February 16, 2012, left 11-year-old Isabelle Tezsla dead.
It happened at the intersection of Route 528 and Old York Road.
Investigators say John Tieman, 66, of Beverly, N.J. was driving the school bus to Chesterfield Elementary School when it was struck in the rear driver's side by a dump truck driven by Michael Caporale, 38, of New Egypt, N.J.
In a statement released on Wednesday, Prosecutor Robert Bernardi said:
"The NTSB report identified factors to the crash which clearly demonstrated negligent conduct on the part of several parties. However, in our view, the negligent conduct of the parties does not rise to the required level of recklessness that would be needed to bring criminal charges against any of the individuals involved in the collision."
The Chesterfield Township Police Department and the New Jersey State Police previously issued citations for motor vehicle offenses.
A summons for Failure to Stop or Yield was issued by the Chesterfield Police Department to Tieman.
The New Jersey State Police Commercial Vehicle Inspection Unit issued summonses to Caporale for Failure to Secure Container and Failure to Tarp Load.
Additionally, the NJSP Commercial Vehicle Inspection Unit issued four summonses to the owner of the dump truck, Herman's Trucking of Wrightstown, New Jersey, for Inadequate Braking, Exceeding Gross Weight (by 4,950 pounds), Exceeding Tire Weight Limit, and Over Axle Weight (by 13,450 pounds).
new jersey news, school bus, accident, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 2 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures