On Video: Towel-wearing robber punched by Wawa worker in Center City
CENTER CITY - November 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A would-be robber was challenged, then punched, by a Wawa worker in Center City Philadelphia in an incident that was caught on video.
Police released surveillance video of the incident on Thursday morning as the search for the bandit continues.
The robbery attempt happened around 5:36 a.m. on October 13th at 912 Walnut Street.
The video shows the man walking into the store wearing sunglasses and a green towel over his head. He approaches the counter but then leaves.
The suspect is then seen re-entering the store, this time with the towel covering his face.
It's at this point, police say, the man approaches the counter and demands money from the cash register while tugging at his waistband.
The worker told the suspect "show me the gun," police say, then told the other employees they were being robbed.
The suspect pulled out a thin piece of metal with a curved handle, police say, and started to approach one of the workers.
That's when the employee punches the man in the jaw, causing him to fall down.
The towel falls off the man's head and a surveillance camera capture his face as the runs away.
Once out of the store, the man gets away in a dark blue or green BMW X5 with no license plate.
The suspect is described as a white male, 40 to 50 years old standing 6'1" to 6'3" tall weighing 280 to 300 pounds. He has short brown hair, a mustache and was wearing a light blue flannel shirt and blue jeans.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia news, center city news, robbery, local/state
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser 36 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 21 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche 18 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South...
21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
53 min ago