Berks County fugitive extradited to US from Italy
READING, Pa. - November 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a Pennsylvania murder suspect has been extradited to the United States from Italy after spending years on the lam.
According to U.S. Marshals, 42-year-old Miguel Torres arrived here Friday and is now in the custody of Berks County authorities.
Berks District Attorney John Adams has scheduled a news conference for Friday afternoon.
Authorities say Torres killed his estranged wife in 2005. Barbara West-Torres was gunned down in a Reading parking lot after obtaining a protective order against her husband.
Officials say Torres first escaped to the Dominican Republic, then immigrated to Bologna, Italy. It wasn't immediately clear if he has an attorney.
Torres was allegedly working as a domestic in Bologna when he was arrested March 15 by Italian authorities working with U.S. Marshals.
pennsylvania news, berks county news, italy, homicide, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police