Sinkhole develops in Egg Harbor City
EGG HARBOR CITY, N.J. - November 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Crews are working to repair a sinkhole that apparently opened up overnight in a southern New Jersey town.
The Press of Atlantic City reports an Egg Harbor City police officer discovered the sinkhole early Thursday when he unknowingly drove his cruiser into the gaping hole on Ninth and Beethoven streets. The officer was not injured.
The discovery spurred city officials to shut off water service to dozens of homes and businesses in the city.
Officials say the sinkhole appears to be about 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep, but it's still not clear what caused it. It's also not known how long it will take to repair the sinkhole.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City (N.J.), http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com
atlantic county news, new jersey news, sinkhole, local/state
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ 47 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 32 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
34 min ago